Surf and Photography

Two recurring themes at my new home away from home. Surf and Photography. I have been fortunate enough to have an abundance of both lately.

I have always admired photographer's work of the local area. I know a few that are practicing their trade sucessfully and their work is quite inspiring. Now, for myself, having the chance to shoot on Hatteras Island is something I really didn't fully appreciate until spending so much time here. Before moving here I would always bring my camera gear on our weekend trips and make myself shoot at least a few shots each day I visited.

However, there is nothing like being in the right place at the right time in order to get a nice shot. With me spending so much time on the island my odds of getting what I consider a nice shot has gone up dramatically. Today, while out for an evening surf after work with Kim and some friends I made sure to bring one of my cameras to the beach. I had a feeling I would find something interesting to shoot after my surf session.


Some of our friends were already in the water and others showed up as we were surfing. The surfing was a fun little wave about chest-high. Kim managed to paddle out through the break which is a big accomplishment for any aspiring surfer. I have always said surfing was the hardest sport I ever learned, and I participate in a lot of steep-learning-curve sports. So to see her progressing is pretty awesome.


As the surf died I came in to shore and pulled out my camera and sarted looking for material to unfold before me. It is amazing how much you can find when you start looking for it, and here, you really don't have to look hard.

After all of the years visiting this area, I am still amazed at the stunning sunsets. Never are two the same, and I never get tired of looking at them.

Aloha.

0 comments: