Gone Surfing...

Yeah, many of my friends and family have wondered where I ran off to recently. No blog posts. No emails. Not even a text message from me. Well, I have been stranded on a small island.



That isn't exactly true, but close... I took a job in Cape Hatteras, NC. As most who know me know I like to play, a lot, and Kim and I do much of our playing on the sandbar known as Cape Hatteras.



As the story goes, I have been coming to this island for 40 years now. It started with me at 6 months old and my parents kayaking from island to island freely camping. I don't know all the details, but the story suggests that I (as in all of us) almost didn't make it back due to typical storm conditions for around here. Since then, learning to surf here as a young Marine helped solidify my bond with this area. Kiteboarding has taken over and now I have the opportunity to spend even more time here for my career.

I was lucky enough to find a position with a local kiteboarding company, REAL Watersports in Waves, NC, who has crossed over into surfing and stand up paddle boarding. The atmosphere, the people, and the mission of the company make it a great place to work and make part of my life. As a long-time surfer and now kiteboarder this is an awesome way to continue (and further) my career - and yes, have a teeny bit of fun while I'm at it.



Since taking the job on July 16th I have spent a lot of time on the water as well as behind my desk. The job is demanding but the rewards are commiserate. The job description is Technology Manager. A new direction for my career. A lot of things are new to me and I am enjoying the challenge of learning new areas of the Information Technology industry. I will primarily be working from Richmond, VA but during the beginning I am spending a lot of my time ramping up at the office.

So my lifelong dream of becoming a surf bum is finally being realized. Kim and I have a 'cozy' little camper parked at a marina where things feel just like home. It is a bit tough sometimes with Kim being back and forth between Richmond. However, as I start to work from Richmond more we should be able to develop a manageable schedule.



To date, things have been a little hectic for Kim and I. Setting up some sort of domicile on the island, taking the new job, being apart, keeping our house in Richmond going, meeting new friends. It all adds up. Luckily, at the end of the day we have each other and get to go surfing, or kiteboarding, stand up paddle boarding, kayaking, or having a sushi picnic on the beach enjoying a beautiful sunset.

Thanks and much love to Kim for being the amazing wife I am still wondering how I deserve. She has done so much to make this happen. Always supportive of me, and enjoying the lifestyle we built for ourselves as much as I do.


Aloha.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome.

We were in Salvo a few weeks ago for vacation.

Good luck w/ the new venture man!